Although Star Anise is now grown in northern states like Himachal Pradesh, it is a native of Vietnam and Southwest China.
A secret ingredient of masala chai and culinary delicacies like Biryani, it is a widely used ingredient in Chinese and Indonesian cooking as well.
It has star-shaped pods and a flavor that could be described as similar to liquorice.
In Indian cuisine, it is a major spice of the garam masala spices and is an ingredient of the traditional five-spice powder of Chinese cooking.
Apart from the traditional uses it has, Star Anise is also a spicy retreat for skin, let’s check out the amazing Star Anise benefits for skin:
1. IT DETERS MENOPAUSE-RELATED EFFECTS ON THE SKIN
Menopause is the gradual decline in women’s reproductive hormones which leads to problems like hot flashes, bodily weakness and skin problems such as dry and dull skin.
Star Anise, if taken naturally by adding it to meals, helps in balancing the jangled hormones as it mimics the effects of estrogen in the body thereby reducing the effects of menopause and revealing a glowing and moisturised skin.
Here is a Star Anise anti-aging Serum recipe from Nature Face Therapy
Star Anise Anti-Aging Serum
Want to keep wrinkles at bay? Try this DIY anti-aging serum using star anise. It's DIY beauty at its finest.
1. Prep Time: 10 mins.
2. Cook Time: 1 hr 30 mins.
3. Total Time: 1 hr 40 mins.
· 2 tbsp Jojoba Oil
· 2 tsp Vitamin E
· 1 1/2 tbs Rosehip Seed Essential Oil
· 1 Handful Star Anise Pods
· 2 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
· 2 drops Lavender Essential Oil
1.Heat two cups of water in a pot until boiling. Turn on low.
2.Put jojoba, vitamin E, rosehip seed oils and star anise pods in a glass jar and place the jar in the pot of water. Let it sit in water for 2 – 4 hours or longer (the longer the better), allowing the star anise to infuse into the oils.
3.Let cool then add remaining essential oils. Stir gently to mix and transfer to a small bottle or container for daily use.
2. IT FIGHTS EARLY AGEING ACTIVITIES ON SKIN
Star Anise takes control of the freeloading free radicals wandering around on the skin since it is rich in antioxidants like Vitamin A & C.
What these naturally occurring antioxidants like Vitamin A & C do is they protect you against free radicals that come from pollutants, dust, dirt, chemical-laden skincare products while boosting skin collagen and maintaining healthy elasticity on the skin.
3. IT REDUCES THOSE NOXIOUS DARK CIRCLES
The fast-paced lifestyle in the cities has made us lose touch with our roots and the infinite ways it protects and empowers us. But holistic elements like Star Anise that the Earth has adorned us with and which the tribesmen have found many uses have left all us some resort.
The natural skincare properties hidden in Star Anise reduce dark circles, diminishes puffiness, and firms and tones area around the eyes.
Though a bit pungent to taste, it makes for a good ingredient in DIY Eye Creams and natural skincare products for soothing tired eyes.
4. IT TIGHTENS SKIN PORES REVEALING A NATURALLY YOUTHFUL SKIN
The natural skincare properties of Star Anise is well known among the beauty tribes of the world and is used in myriad skincare products for the benefit of skin.
When Star Anise is used to make DIY toners or masks or is used in cleansers, it effectively closes pores owing to its astringent qualities.
Here is a DIY Mask recipe from Everphi for getting that glowing look:
· 2 teaspoons of Star Anise Powder
· 1 cup Curd
· 1 tablespoon of Natural Honey
2. A Coffee Grinder or Mortar to grind the anise (in case you do not find anise powder).
3. plastic film.
4. 1 small bowl for mixing.
5. 1 brush for application (optional).
1.Put the egg yolk, honey and anise powder in the bowl and stir well until you get a uniform and textured mixture similar to yogurt.
2. In your face very clean and without traces of makeup apply the mask with your hands or with the help of a brush. Cover all your face, avoiding the area of the eyes, lips, and nostrils.
3. At the end of the application, put the plastic film on top (you can cut the plastic with the shape of a mask for ease).
4. Let it act for 30 minutes and then rinse with warm or cold water, according to your preference.
5. IT RELAXES FACIAL SKIN MUSCLES
An anomaly in itself the Star Anise relaxes and tightens your skin at the same time.
It relaxes skin muscles when it’s taken in the form of tea or its oil massaged onto the skin, its pacifying properties soothe even the most stressed muscles.
And so when the facial muscles are relaxed and loosen up, wrinkles and fine lines loosen up too and you get that naturally bouncy skin without having used toxic chemicals.